Pluss’ Health Works for Cornwall teamed up with Natural England, to give people not in paid employment, the opportunity to take part in a 4-week programme across May and June, learning various skills in an outdoor setting.
There were three locations to choose from: Golitha Falls, near Liskeard; Goss Moor, between Indian Queens and Roche; and The Lizard, near Helston.
- Week 1: walk the site learning about the history and local wildlife as well as identifying ideal spots for visitor signage.
- Weeks 2 & 3 working from an indoor/outdoor community setting, to create signage to help visitors navigate the nature reserve.
- Week 4: return to the nature reserve to install the signage created.
Here’s some feedback from the Golitha Falls sessions:
“I would like to start by saying thank you to everyone involved in arranging this course. I really enjoyed my time on it and wished it was longer. The experience has led me to become a volunteer with Natural England and I am looking forward to seeing what the future brings for Golifia Falls.”
Jenny, Health Works for Cornwall participant
“I thoroughly enjoyed all of the experience and will continue to enjoy it every time I’m at Golitha Falls knowing I had a hand in the signage.”
Mik, Health Works for Cornwall participant
More feedback from the Goonhilly Downs sessions:
“I really enjoyed the last four weeks with Natural England. Its given me more confidence doing things I would normally not have done and Chris and Morgan were awesome!
“Morgan and Chris (Natural England) along with Pluss made me feel energised whilst working on the project and I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt some new skills along the way.”
Simon, Health Works for Cornwall participant
“A lovely, chilled vibe. Very positive to bring the work that was created by all (at Heartlands). It was important and a real boost to be part of the signs being put in situ at Goonhilly trail. Chris from Natural England was great fun as always, thanks to Pluss for making this possible by all of the amazing work they do.”
Ryan and Mel, Health Works for Cornwall participants
Pluss’ Health Works for Cornwall offers help and guidance in a variety of different ways:
Support is tailored to each individual and could include:
- Help to build self-esteem, confidence and independence
- Understanding each individuals work, life and health aspirations
- Assisting with job search, CVs and interview techniques
- Arranging work trials, tasters and introductions to local employers
- In-work support for up to six months.
Health Works for Cornwall is co-financed by the European Social Fund.
If you’d like to find out more, click on the link below or send an email to HWC@pluss.org.uk